Thursday, December 3, 2015

Half-Life Black Mesa in Unity / CSG Unity plugin update 7

Hi! It's been a while since the last update and this is mainly because I spend 2 months in Copenhagen for my Unity onboarding and I didn't really have much time to work on CSG then or after.

Since I can't work on it full time anymore the pace is a lot slower, it doesn't help that I need to spend a lot of time & energy on the eventual move to Copenhagen at the end of January.

But don't worry, I'm committed to finishing this plugin and it will get done!

In the meantime, here's some eye candy for you to enjoy :)



Yes your eyes are not deceiving you, this is a Half-Life Black mesa level running in Unity.
I wrote an importer that imports all the brushes from black mesa maps and turn them into the CSG brushes that my plugin uses. I also wrote an importer for the meshes (which was a huge time-sink, maybe I shouldn't have done that!)

After I got the importer working to a point where it was good enough (for my purposes at least), I did some performance testing .. and at first it was much slower than I suspected. It was interactive, but definitely not as fast as I thought it would be. It took me a while to figure out that I was actually, accidentally, updating all the >3000 brushes in the level every time I moved a single brush!